Tuesday 4 May 2010

Leeds Tourist Information~

I have amazed people this week. By telling that, yes, Leeds does in deed have a tourist information centre. It's located next to the entrance to the railway station. I went in and asked if I could take some pictures for my project and they where more than happy to let me.

This is when you walk into the centre from the railway entrance. Overall I think it's quite a useful place if you don't know Leeds, it also sort of doubles up as a sort of depot for people to buy bus tickets. (There's a technical term, I just can't think of it.)

Doctor Rock is one creepy looking guy at five foot odd.

I sort of became overwhelmed and a little picky when looking over the leaflets and broaches that dominate one half of the centre. I did wonder if any one really came a browsed through all them, but the place gains enough traffic using the centre as a go between.



Now this baffled me. Why does the Leeds visitor centre, of all place, sell little models of red double decker buses. The buses Iconic to London? This really doesn't help the stereotype that every English person lives in London and within a 4 mile radius of each other. I am, however, glad of the little Yorkshire flag.




I know I'm not re designing the visitor centre, it's actually pretty effective as it is. (minus one or two details such as promoting London in Yorkshire?) As I'm focusing on Visit England, my project has a large web presence with a link out to the visitors centres around the country.

What I want to be able to do in link the two almost separate tourists boards when they're essentially promoting the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment