Saturday 8 May 2010

Character Design: Tyke

Tyke is the given name for the Yorkshire Dialect. It's not used much and it used to be used as a deregonative name for people from Yorkshire. That's a shame, I quite like it. So did the people of Yorkshire and they semi adopted it.

After my tutorial with Fred, I knew I simply had to get on with designing the characters. I was too focused on finding a context for them when I really don't need to focus on that just yet.

The first half decent sketch I did of Tyke, with an actual body somewhat preoportional to his head. I decided I didn't want to draw the counties as adults as it takes away the innocent feel to the brief. It's supposed to be fun, no threatenting with just a little bit of poking fun.

First design sheet with a 3 point turn of Tyke, some expresions (the rage one being my favourite. He looks horrified) and some kind of strange deformed version down at the bottom. The idea being that I can simplify the characters down to look uniformed after their own personality determinds their apperance.

He's only wearing shorts and t-shirt this point. A random thought accured to me that people from the North don't feel the cold as much. I suppose it's to do with all thos palm tree's in the south...

He's also wearing Yorkshire Clogs. Which I had no idea existed until now... (so instead of a sterotypical flat cap, he gets boots no one wears anymore.)

Close up of a few exprsions and the simple version which I may or may not work on. Depending if I can keep it withihn the same design of the character.

Close up of the 3 point turn. His side view is slightly forward facing as I couldn't get his head to sit right the other way. I'll be trying that later when I have some other poses sketched out for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment